I know – day three isn’t that impressive. I don’t think I could handle another ketchup macaron fiasco today, so I decided to play it safe (and I was actually really hungry, so I needed edible food). I’ve actually never made savory muffins before, so this would actually be a first – which means, i’m only kind of cheating today.
As I was making these, I actually realized that apart from the bacon, these are actually really healthy. It’s filled with spinach and onions, and it tastes like a quiche in muffin form. These were delicious and I would definitely make these again (unlike the past two days..) I didn’t have a single recipe to follow, so I tested out the amounts a bit. I found that I didn’t add enough bacon, which is a big source of flavor for the muffin, and I also could’ve increased the amount of parmesan.
Spinach Bacon Muffins
2 1/4 cups cake flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
2 large eggs
3/4 cup milk
2 teaspoons vinegar
2 tablespoons vegetable oil (one tablespoon for the onions, and the other should be added to wet ingredients)
1/2 onion, diced
6 strands of bacon, diced
1/2 bunch of spinach
1/2 cup grated parmesan
Makes 12 muffins
1. Preheat oven to 400 F
2. In a bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Set aside.
3. In a pan, heat one tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Add the diced bacon and onions, and cook until the bacon and onions brown. Take the pan off the heat, and add the chopped spinach, stirring it until the spinach wilts. Set aside.
4. Add the vinegar into the milk. Let it sit for 5 minutes.
5. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, and one tablespoon of oil. Add the sifted dry ingredients, and mix well. Don’t overdo this however, because you want to avoid creating gluten, which results in a tough muffin.
6. Stir in the spinach mixture and the parmesan.
7. Bake for 18-20 minutes in a greased muffin pan. Insert a toothpick into the center to test if the muffins are done (if the toothpick comes out clean, it’s done).
8. Serve warm, and spread some butter on it if you’re feeling indulgent. You won’t regret it.